This recipe is a staple in our house which never lasts long. It’s a simple, sugar-free dessert or a snack. With yogurt, it makes a hearty breakfast. Check out the video below of Juli making this in our kitchen!
Apple crisp and pie are great uses for our #2 grade apples. Williams Pride, Liberty, Enterprise, Sundance, Goldrush and Winecrisp apples are excellent in baked dishes like this.
The recipe can be made gluten free with oat flour or other gluten free flour.
- 5 lbs apple, cored and sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon, divided
- 2.5 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or substitute oat, hazelnut, or almond flour)
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 cup canola oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Oil a 9×13 deep baking dish.
2. Add all but a cup of the sliced apples into the baking dish. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp cinnamon on top, and mix with hand. Top it with remaining sliced apples, distributing them evenly. The baking dish will be quite full.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, flour, flaxseed meal, nutmeg, optional walnuts, and remaining 1 Tbsp cinnamon. Add oil and water, and mix well. Spread this on top of apples.
4. Bake, covered, for 1.5 hrs, or until apples are soft (test with a fork). Uncover, and bake for another 10 minutes for a crisp top.